Family Promise of Grand Rapids, founded in 1997 as the Greater Grand Rapids Interfaith Hospitality Network, partners with local congregations, individuals, families, foundations and corporations to provide emergency shelter and viable solutions for families with children who are facing a housing crisis.
The mission of Family Promise of Grand Rapids is to engage community and faith-based organizations in ENDING HOMELESSNESS ... one family at a time.
Our goals are ambitious and achievable:
• Family Promise will help homeless families with children find permanent housing, and, through our continuum of supportive programs and mentors, help them achieve sustainable self-sufficiency.
• Family Promise will help families achieve self-sufficiency so that children do not continue to cycle through our community’s homeless emergency system.
• Family Promise will be sensitive to and help many families who are homeless due to situations (job loss) and/or are experiencing a life crisis (illness, divorce, domestic abuse) which has led to first-time, and for many, only-time homelessness.
• Family Promise will allow families to remain intact during a housing crisis so dads can stay with their family and boys over the age of 10 remain with their siblings and parents. This will lessen the negative impact on families and children. Separation adds additional stress and takes time away from the goals of securing permanent housing and employment.
• Family Promise will maintain an 85% or greater rate of families we serve moving into permanent housing.
• Family Promise will work with families in assuring that 80% or more remain self-sufficient for one year or more.
Family Promise of Grand Rapids Commitment to Advance Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Social Justice.
Diversity: Family Promise of Grand Rapids embraces and celebrates the variety of personal experiences, values, and views that arise from differences of culture and circumstance. Such differences include race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, age, class, religion and spirituality, geography and more. Family Promise serves our community through a strategy promoting a racism-free environment along with a continuous improvement strategy to increase awareness and respect of our differences, implemented through our Board, staff and volunteers.
Inclusion: Family Promise Grand Rapids supports the success and engagement of all guests, visitors, staff, Board and volunteers in creating a healthy and affirming climate. Inclusion is defined as the intentional and ongoing engagement with diverse people in ways that increase one’s awareness, knowledge and understanding of the complex ways individuals interact. Family Promise strives to provide an environment in which all participants thrive and fully participate, feeling welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
Equity: Family Promise of Grand Rapids ensures fair treatment, access and opportunity for our guests and staff. Family Promise understands that there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations in our community, and every effort is made to identify and eliminate barriers preventing their full participation.
Social Justice: Family Promise of Grand Rapids is committed to educate and empower our guests, staff, Board and volunteers to think critically about systems of marginalization and oppression. This includes an understanding of privilege and the need for all to work toward equity and fairness in the pursuit of transformation of the lives of those with whom we engage.