Family Promise- Assisting Children and Their Families Facing a Housing Crisis for Twenty Years
Family Promise partners with families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless by helping them get back on their feet so they can create a stable lifestyle for their children.
Family homelessness is becoming more and more prevalent in our community. Families with children are the fastest-growing segment of the homeless population making up almost 50 percent of those who are homeless in West Michigan. Family Promise is doing everything in our power to end family homelessness....one family at a time. Most of the families we help are just like ours, but they haven’t been able to overcome a difficult situation. That’s where Family Promise can help!
Family Promise has helped over 3,000 children and 1,500 families build a strong foundation for their family’s future through providing emergency services, permanent housing, case management, mentoring and furniture donation services. With the help of our IHN network and over 2,000 volunteers, our families have found futures full of hope and possibility.
When we help parents meet their basic needs and give them the opportunity to create a vision for the future, their dreams of providing a better life for their children are realized. This changes our community and improves the lives of future generations.
Causes of Homelessness
- Lack of affordable housing- The most prevalent cause
- Unemployment- Losing a job or even hours, especially at minimum wage
- Family Break-up- When a guardian leaves the family, income often goes with them
- Education Barries- Finding a job that pays enough to make the rent
- Domestic violence- Leaving an abusive relationship can cut off financial resources and stable support systems
To learn more, take a look at our brochures: